Maker: SDUK/ Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge.
Antique map of Ireland, published under the Superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge in 1850. Fine detail of townships, towns, roads and routes, landforms and water bodies. Hand-colored to indicate the provinces and counties. In the upper left is a listing of round towers.
Irish round towers are early mediaeval stone towers of a type found mainly in Ireland, with two in Scotland and one on the Isle of Man. As their name Cloigtheach indicates, they were originally bell towers, though they may have been later used for additional purposes.
A tower of this kind is generally found in the vicinity of a church or monastery, with the door of the tower facing the west doorway of the church. Knowledge of this fact has made it possible, where towers still exist, to determine without excavation the approximate sites of lost churches that once stood nearby.
This map is made of two sheets of paper, joined and folded. Very good condition, with some minor wear at the seams near the paper edges, mild toning, some image transfer. Measures approx. 23.25"h x 18.25"w.
Item Number: EUR101