1850 - English Plan of the Forts Ontario & Oswego with part of the River Onondago and Lake Ontario 1756. - Antique Map

Regular price
Sale price
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
Shipping calculated at checkout.

Item number: NYO954
Genuine Antique Map


Maker: Documentary History of the State of New York

Antique map showing Forts Ontario and Oswego in 1756 from the Documentary History of the State of New York, 1850. This is a 19th century reprint of a map from Gentleman's Magazine, 1757. Fort Oswego was destroyed in 1756: First established by the British in 1727 as a stone blockhouse, it was named Fort Burnet. Expanded in 1741 and known briefly as Fort Pepperrell (1745-1746), it was later known as Fort Oswego. The post was destroyed by a large French force under General Montcalm in 1756 and not rebuilt. It was the site of American works and water battery during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Located in the modern city of Oswego in Oswego County, New York. Also known by the French as Fort Chouaguen. Very good condition with some small spots. Measures approx. 9 x 5.5 inches to the neatline.

Item Number: NYO954