Black and white engraved antique plan of the city of Buenos Aires, from "Histoire Generale des Voyage", published by Harrevelt Changuion, 1773. The Fort of Buenos Aires was built by order of the governor Fernando de Zarate, being designated with the name of Real Fortaleza de Don Juan Baltasar de Austria. Its construction began towards the middle of 1590s, in the land where the Government House is currently located. Originally the fortress had been raised for the defense of the city against possible incursions by pirates, was also the residence of the authorities of Buenos Aires. This map also shows notable buildings such as a cathedral and a hospital. Very good overall antique condition, matted, 7 x 11 inches.
Item Number: SAM058JR