1869 - The New Suspension Bridge at Niagara Falls, Connecting the Village of Niagara Falls with Clifton, in Canada. - Antique Print

Regular price
Sale price
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
Shipping calculated at checkout.

Item number: NYO913
Genuine Antique Uncolored Print


Maker: Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper.

Antique uncolored print of the bridge at Niagara Falls from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, May 15, 1869. The Niagara Clifton Bridge, also known as the first Falls View Suspension Bridge, was a suspension bridge over the Niagara River between Niagara Falls, New York and Clifton, Ontario. It was designed by Samuel Keefer, with construction starting in 1867. It was officially opened for traffic on January 2, 1869 and was destroyed in a storm on the night of January 9, 1889. Shortly following the collapse of the first Falls View Suspension Bridge, a second bridge of the same design was ordered to be built. Construction began on March 22, 1889 and erection work took only 38 days to complete. It was opened on May 7, only 117 days after the preceding bridge disaster. The second Falls View Suspension Bridge was dismantled in 1898 when construction of the Honeymoon Bridge was complete. Good antique condition with toning, some wear at the paper edges, and some mild stains, but it should look very good when framed. Measures approx. 9.5 x 14.5 inches to the image edges.

Item Number: NYO913